Airport extreme range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vmachiel, Sep 23, 2013.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Hi forum,

Does anyone have any experience with the airport extremes range? My dad really want to buy one but he needs it to reach the attic, so two stories up. The performance doesn't need to be great up there, but will the router reach it?

Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Too many variables to say -home construction, interference sources, competing wifi signals. However if it won't reach on its own, he can always add an Airport Express as a repeater on an intermediate floor.

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

I see thanks!

4. gCloud macrumors 6502a

you have to try it and see. you have the option of extending the the network using an express. u also have the option of returning within 14 days if the AE doesn't do what u want.

5. adjuvantjfoster macrumors newbie

Using a wired connection avoids interference from all the other wireless networks and the cordless phones in your house as well as in the neighboring houses.

Before you start drilling, see if there is enough space along side any of the plumbing vent stacks or chimneys that come from the lower level up through the roof.

It is far better, and far cheaper (including the purchase of extra long, flexible electrician's tool bits) to snake some CAT 5 0r 6 cable from the attic to the router.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GR...cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

http://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Quick-Connect-Extension-System-Instruction-Manual.pdf

6. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Awesome, thanks for the tip

7. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

For me the range is quite a bit worse than other high end AC routers(netgear 6300 and asus ac66u).

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

can you extend with another airport extreme? If i have one and I wanted to add another one 2 floors down?

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sure, any AirPort can extend.

10. lexvo macrumors 65816

Like some others said, it all depends on the circumstances.

In my house, I have a WiFi signal from my Airport Extreme two stories up. So it is possible. My Extreme is not the current model, newer models we be doing even better I guess.