Airport extreme - remote access of hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bphenry, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bphenry macrumors newbie

I just set up an Airport extreme network. I had 2 question concerning this network.

1. Can I set up a password protect for individual folders on this network hard drive?

2. Can I access this hard drive remotely from a different computer?

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Don't think you can make folders private - I haven't discovered a feature that allows that yet.

You can access it remotely yes - using the Network Connection method on your Mac and the IP address I believe. You need to enable WAN sharing however (go to Utilities --> Airport Utility and then double click on your base station name and go to Disk).

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Depending on what you want to do, you can do #1 with the 'user accounts' feature. For each user you add it will create a folder with that user's name, that only they can see. It would be a pain if you wanted to be able to access multiple different ones, though.

Another option is to create password protected disk images on the disk... that's how I back up my stuff. The drawback is you have to have a good idea of what size you want it to be beforehand. The upside is it mounts just like any other removable drive and appears in your finder, so you can just drag stuff to it.

4. swimlikehell macrumors member

I was wondering I can succesfully access my drive using my mac, but how can I access this drive on my windows machine, I have tried ftp://ip and it says I don't have permisions. When I connect using IP internally IT prompts for user and password on my windows machine. Anythoughts would be much appreciated, Thanks

5. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Maybe you need Bonjour installed on your Windows to find the disk, isn't there some windows utilities on the CD? Install the stuff on your windows box, should work.

6. swimlikehell macrumors member

I do not currently have my cd that came with my airport. Are they available on apple's website?

7. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

EXACTY

not sure, check it out www.apple.com/support

8. swimlikehell macrumors member

Is there a diffrent bonjour for drives, I got bonjour for windows off apples web site and it is for printer setup?

9. adelsam macrumors newbie

Airdisk from WinXP

(With bonjour installed, though it may not be necessary)

In Windows Explorer, "Map Network Drive..." to //10.0.1.1/volume1

where the ip address is that of your airport and volume1 is the name of the share. You will then be prompted for the password (if any). Select 'reconnect at login' if desired.

10. swimlikehell macrumors member

It says that the network path \\ip\folder could not be found, but I am sitting here connected to the drive with my laptop. I know That way works while in the network, but I am trying to access it from out side of the network.