Airport Extreme & "remote streaming" to Plex - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NazgulRR, Oct 13, 2010.

1. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

This:

1.) I'd put the Airport Extreme with USB external hard drive (movies, tv shows) in location1 (20Mb/20Mb internet connection 24/7).

2.) I'd set up Plex/XMBC on my Macbook in location2 (say, 200km away from location1) to connect to that drive and use it as a source for all the movies, tv shows etc. (Location2 has 100Mb/10Mb internet speed).

Basically, the external drive in location1 would act as a "remote file server" feeding the Plex/XMBC on my Macbook in location2 (or anywhere in the world, theoretically atleast) which would then play what I wanted.

Would this be possible? Or is it too sci-fi?

IMO internet speeds are ok (20Mb up from loc1 and 100Mb down to loc2), but I'm not sure whether direct streaming from a shared drive over the internet is possible. And if you can use such drive with Plex or XMBC.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. NazgulRR thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, that is awesome. How does it work in real life? Is navigating/scanning for new media in Plex/XMBC nice and smooth? Theoretically, you could access it and watch the movies from anywhere in the world, right?

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I just connect with AFP and play the movies in VLC. nothing fancy but gets the job done.

and yes, I watched a 1080p movie from my AEBS in europe, when I was in the US

5. NazgulRR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much. Just what I wanted to know :).