Airport Extreme Screwup! Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mileslong, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i picked my new airport extreme so i could use 801.11.n and i followed the instructions. downloaded necessary updates for my new iMac dual core duo. i installed the airport installer software that came with it. i got it working perfectly using the new 802.11.n. this setup had an option for both g and b as well so i could use my G4 powerbook as well which runs 801.11.g.

then under the options i saw where there was an option to run only 801.11.n under 5ghz. i tried that option then just to see if if added to my Imacs power and range. then the installer stalled, and now it wont locate my airport extreme. i have tried everything. rebooting, unplugging the cable modem, router, airport base station, uninstalling the software and reinstalling, everything. but the installer can't find the extreme base station now no matter what i do.

i now plugged it back into my old base station and it works fine under 802.11.g. im typing this on my powerbook. what can i do? im really ticked off right now, i just couldn't leave well enough alone, but again, why should they give those options if they are going to completely screw up your system?

please help!

thanks!

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

did you try resetting the base station itself i believe theres a button that resets it and does your imac have wireless n? you have a imac core 2 duo or just duo if just duo then thats your problem you dont have N

3. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Take a paper clip to the button on the back. Push and hold for 20 seconds. This will do a hard reset.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You can always connect to the AX with an ethernet cable and access the settings that way. I recommend having a short stretch of cable stored away for such an emergency.

I've used this several times when my wireless got borked.

5. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks for the help guys. i did a hard reset and it did the trick. i was frantic, my better half was griping at me for not leaving well enough alone. :)