Airport Extreme set up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Playhouse619, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Playhouse619 macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to set up Airport Extreme as the base for my home wireless network. I've never had wireless in my home so this is a foreign process to me.

I seem to have hit a wall with this error message:

"Your Base station does not have a valid IP address. Make sure your base station is connected to your broadband modem or local network, verify your settings, and try again. If you still can’t connect contact your internet service provider."

How do I fix this?

It is giving me an option to access via PPoE. Is that the solution? If so what do I do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

so I'm assuming the AEBS is connected to your modem via an ethernet cable. It is broadcasting, and you should be able so see a wireless signal in your airport monitor. Go you your utilities, and use the airport utility (apps>utilities) and setup the AEBS to receive an IP from the router using DHCP. Then setup the AEBS to broadcast a range of ip addresses 10.0.0.1-100 (there are several options), and setup a channel for it to broadcasts these on. You will also need to setup an admin name and password, and I would recommend setting up WPAP encryption.

let me know if you need more help, I'm currently not my own network and will be able to help more later once I get home and can take a look at how mine is configured.

3. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

First off, is the ethernet from the cable modem plugged into the WAN port of the Airport Extreme? Is the cable modem powered? Tell us more about your setup.

4. basset hound macrumors newbie

I had similar problems with my AEBS. No matter what I did, following the directions in the booklet or on the computer, it wouldn't work. One day, when I had some time, I called AppleCare:apple:. I got a technician that actually knew what he was doing, not just reading a script out of a notebook. He worked with me for quite a while and got it all to work. I was amazed and pleased how well he treated me through the whole process as well as how knowledgeable he was. I'd suggest that you try the same thing.