Airport Extreme set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stu132, Apr 1, 2010.

1. stu132 macrumors newbie

I have just bought a new airport extreme and have been struggling trying to set it up. I have searched all over the internet trying to fin the answer.

I hope someone can help me. Currently I have aBelkin wireless modem router which provides the internet connection to both my laptops and iphones etc. I got the Airport Exreme with the intention of connecting it wirelssly to the existing wirelsss connection and using the the Extreme for the HDD sharing facility.

Now I can connect the Extreme to the belkin router using ethernet and get access to the internet etc. My question is how do you achieve this wirelessly. I want to place the extremen and the usb hdd in a separate location with the PS3 hardwired into it.

Has anyone done this or know how to, I've read somthing about WDS which my Belkin has but i've no clue how to set it up.

Please help if you can.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. belvdr macrumors 603

The Belkin device must support WDS to do this. Otherise, a LAN cable between the two LAN ports will also work.

EDIT: D'oh! That's right, I forgot about bridging. But will that extend the wireless signal too, or just convert the LAN ports into a wireless signal? I thought the latter was how bridging worked on the AEBS.

EDIT 2: I'm not seeing any reference to bridging in that document. This is the link you want: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

4. stu132 thread starter macrumors newbie

my belkin router does support WDS, I just have no Idea how to set it up.

Cant find any help in that link either...someone must know??