Airport Extreme setup questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InfiniteLoopy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

I have a few questions regarding how to setup my Airport Extreme:

I previously had a combo modem/router and have now attached an Airport Extreme to it, setup in Bridge mode.

It seems that in Bridge mode, functions such as guest network and seeing the names of wireless clients (as opposed to just their MAC addresses) are unavailable.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is have the following setup:

- The modem/router acting as just a modem but if possible, with one wired connection to a computer, enabling it to use the modem/router's functions such as port forwarding.

- The Airport Extreme managing all other devices except the above-mentioned computer.

I think I need to change the Airport Extreme from Bridge mode to DHCP or DHCP and NAT but don't really understand these. I think I need to change the modem/router's settings accordingly too.

- Also, regarding Time Machine, is it possible to use a hard drive that was backed up via USB to now continue backing up via wifi, connected to the Airport Extreme?

Thanks in advance for any help,

2. mfram macrumors 65816

You can re-use the hard drive. But the format of the backups are different when backing up over the network compared to backing up locally. So you won't be able to continue to use the old backups over the network.

3. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

If I connect a Mac via Ethernet to the AE and the drive via the AE's USB, can I backup quickly, and then do subsequent backups over wifi?

Can anyone help with my other questions?

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Infiniti, you will need to move the data off of the HD and format in, I believe, MAC OSX Extended Journal. That's the only format that the AEBS will allow the drive to work as a network drive for all types of OS's. Once you have formatted it, you can move you data back on to the HD and access it just fine.

For your network setup...

If you can disable the router part of your modem and then run your AEBS in "regular" mode, you'll have everything you need and then some. NAT is automatic in this configuration and you will not need to worry about it. DHCP should be on be default in this configuration, but you can manually change it.

Port Forwarding is available on the AEBS as well...

5. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.

So even if a hard drive was previously used as a Time Machine backup via USB, it still needs to be formatted in order to work with the AEBS?
    If that's the case, could I format the drive, then redo a Time Machine via USB and then do subsequent backups via wifi, with the drive connected to the AEBS?

I know I can disable the NAT on my modem/router. Is that enough? Should I then select on the AEBS "DHCP" or "DHCP and NAT"?

Finally, if possible, I'd like one ethernet-connected computer to not go through the AEBS but directly to the modem. Is that possible if the AEBS manages DHCP?

Thanks,