AirPort Extreme setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Evildude683, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Hey I'm thinking about gettin an AirPort Extreme but I wonder how exactly how will it fit into my current setup. I only have a modem/router that has wireless capabilities. If I take that away I won't have nowhere to plug the AE into. How do you guys have them setup?

2. Serban Suspended

whaaat? calm down the new AE is easy to setup and can easily take your router place

----------

i was having until yesterday a d-link router wired to my family windows xp PC and wireless to my apple devices (iMac,macbook,iphone iPad). I remove the d-link with airport time capsule and im happy to see even some speed improvements in speed

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Your AE cannot replace your modem, so you'll need your modem/router and plug it into your AE to supply the AE with an internet connection.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You will use your current router/ modem combo as a MODEM ONLY....then let the AE take care of all the rest...they really are very, very easy to setup, with the option for 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks, and a range of options to give you the best speed etc.

5. Evildude683 thread starter macrumors regular

Evildude683

I see what you're saying. I'll have to get into the menu and stop the ISP provided modem/router from using/broadcasting wireless. then let the AE take care of my whole network. I have some more questions.

I'm definitely getting a new router and I'm still undecided between the Asus RT-AC66U and the AE. They both seem great.

I currently have landline wireless phones that use the 5.8 GHz band, will they be affected by the AE or any other router that broadcasts in that range?

6. Serban Suspended

If you will be using your router for wireless , if you use it for windows buy Asus or d-link, if you are using wireless for mac/ios buy the AE.

7. Evildude683 thread starter macrumors regular

Evildude683

I actually got the Asus, I was able to get Bestbuy to match Amazon's price. It has 4 ethernet ports which is just what I need, if I would have gotten the AE I would have to also buy a ethernet port extender. The only things that will be using wireless are my iPhone 5, my wife's galaxy, chromecast and my airport express'.