Airport Extreme setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dexter11, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Dexter11 macrumors member

Can someone tell me if I actually need to use a cable modem with the Time Capsule or airport extreme>?

I am currently using a Netgear DG834GT and the way it works is - standard cable from phone line to Netgear this provides me with the broadband....

Is this the same way these two products work - I keep reading about about using a cable modem - If you could explain how this works for me that would be great!

I want to exchange one for the other with no other hardware!

cheers guys

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If this is your setup, it seems like you have DSL, correct? If that's the case, I'm assuming your DG834GT connects to your computer with an ethernet cord or at the very least has an ethernet port to connect a computer to it. That's where the TC/AEBS/AX comes in. You can disable the router on your current modem and have the Apple router act as a router, or you can connect the DG834GT to one of the LAN ports on the Apple router and have it act as a bridge, OR you could use the Apple router to wirelessly extend your network... You could also use your Apple router to broadcast a different network (connect DG834GT to Apple's WAN port and don't disable DG834GT as a router), but then any computer on one network can't see any computer on the other.

Point is you don't need a cable modem because your ISP isn't a cable ISP. You only need a cable modem if you're connecting to the internet through the cable...

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

To clarify a little to the last post, your current Netgear is a combined (DSL) modem and router. These seem to be common especially in the UK, but are becoming more common in North America. However, most North American still have a separate modem (either cable or DSL), which they then plug into a router.

4. Dexter11 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thats a lot clearer thanks - So these apple devices are set up to connect to you cable modems via a RJ45 cable as I am connecting straight to the phone socket using a RJ11 (to router).....

So if the US apple devices are set up this way do you reckon the UK devices have the facility to connect straight to phone socket i.e RJ11???

Thanks for the responses guys

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The Time Capsule (anywhere in the world) needs an internet source. The NetGear is necessary.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks for the clarification, macleod199. I'm running on very little sleep and the caffeine only does so much.

Again, you're misunderstanding. The DG834GT is a combined modem and router. So the modem part connects to the telephone line through the RJ-11 cable and routes that internet connection to any device connected to it wirelessly or through an RJ-45 cable. Somebody without a combined modem/router in your situation would need a router that connects to the phone line with an RJ-11 cable, and would connect directly to a computer or a router (such as a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme) with an RJ-45 cable. Then you would connect a computer to the router wirelessly or with another RJ-45 cable if the router has RJ-45 ports.

You NEED the DG834GT in your case because it IS your modem.

The Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme only connect to a modem or router through the RJ-45 cable no matter which country you are in.

7. Dexter11 thread starter macrumors member

guys i have finally got it.... a bit slow but i got it thanks for the info and patience