Airport Extreme Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by numbersyx, Aug 17, 2007.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Just recently bought AEBS. I have found that setting it to run at pure N. i.e. 5 Ghz allows a great connection speed (300 mbps) but lowers the distance at which it can operate. When I take it down one floor in my house, it loses the connection entirely. Moving it back to a/b/g/n keeps the signal up but lowers the connection speed to 130 mbps.

Anyone got any solutions...

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Why do you need connection speeds faster than 130mbps? I would just leave it at the a/b/g/n setting since it has better range and range is important to you.

3. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Such is the physics of signals. Higher frequency signals tend to penetrate objects less well/not travel as far. This is why everyone's so excited/eager to buy up the UHF frequencies that were freed up by killing all those TV stations.

So basically, there is no solution in this universe. :)

4. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Take a belt sander to your walls and ceiling. [​IMG]

5. numbersyx thread starter macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have a NAS and transfer files between computers so the speed is important. However, as one of the posters has pointed out, that is the weakness of the higher frequencies. I intend to keep it at a/b/g/n for now unless I can find a solution.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could buy a range extender, that would boost the signal. Although I don't know if there are any ones for Wireless N.