AirPort Extreme Simultaneous Bands

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by njaremka, May 5, 2011.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

I just purchased an AEBS to update my home netowrk. The latest AEBS has dual simultaneous bands for different devices. The instructions say that you can set-up two different networks for each band, but do I have to do that? Or, if I just set-up my one home network does it handle it auto-magically?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's like the Time Capsule with the same capabilities use the Manual Setup option, click on Wireless then Wireless Network Options and then setup the 5Ghz network

3. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

so, ONLY setup the 5ghz band network? or, setup two networks, one using the 2.4 and the other using the 5?

i guess i'm just a little confused how the dual band setup works.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You setup the normal one on the main Wireless page. You setup the 5Ghz one (with a different SSID) on the 5Ghz page. Then you get two networks.

5. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

so, its NOT an automatic configuration for dual simultaneous? it just has the capability for dual simultaneous?

6. Locodice macrumors regular

It is Automatic if you leave the options to automatic. i.e. you don't have to setup 2 networks, if you leave it as automatic it will automatically allocate devices to different bands.

All this is written in the instruction manual, I suggest you read it if you're confused.

7. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

i did think it was automatic, then i read the manual and got confused. i guess i have to re-read it, then. i dont remember seeing that being talked about.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You can do both. You can have one network operating on both bands. This would be useful if you have a mix of wireless devices (11b/g and 11n). I have mine set-up this way. My 2.4Ghz band runs as a 11a/b/g/n and the 5Ghz band is 11n-only. That way, all of my 11n devices can run full speed without the legacy devices slowing down the network.

In my set-up, all devices are on the same network and can share files, printers, etc.

An alternative set-up would be to run two separate networks that are independent from each other. This is what Robbie described.

9. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. i only want one network for simplicity. we have an ibook g4, macbook pro, a windows desktop with wireless card, networked blueray player, a roku media box, an ipad, and two iphones all on the same network. it will make it easier if i can just setup the one network and let the AEBS determine who gets what, and what will provide the best performance for each.

i'm going to perform the install and setup tonight (if nothing else gets in the way), and i'll report back tomorrow.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't think the AEBS will automatically select which band a device will use. That's determined by you, via the settings on the device.

For instance, my dual-band network shows up as two different names. The 2.4Ghz network is called "Network" and the 5Ghz network is called "Network (5Ghz)". Even though each band has a separate name, it's still one single nework.

I put the 11b/g devices on Network and my 11n devices connect to Network (5Ghz). There's no real need to have the AEBS do it for you, as I want my 11n devices to always run on the 5Ghz network.

11. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

well THAT didnt clear anything up. :( i guess i'll just have to play around with it when i get it set up.

12. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

The AEBS won't select what frequency each device connects to, the device does. For instance, the AEBS does both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously, but each device connects to the band that has the best connection.

So, if your 5 GHz has to pass through too many walls or obstructions then your MBP will connect to the 2.4 GHz because it is stronger.

The only reason for creating a "separate" SSID for the 5 GHz band is if you wanted certain devices to connect ONLY to the 5 GHz band.

13. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Correct. But only if you DO NOT select the box to have the 5Ghz added to your network name. Your SSID must be exactly the same for both bands. Otherwise your computer will see them as 2 separate networks, and will cling to the weak signal as long as it can because its higher up in the priority list.

14. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

for point of reference, my previous netowrk was based around an airport express. now, my network is based around the AEBS with the express as a repeater.

last night, i set up the AEBS as a single network, using the setup wizard. so, only one network visible to all devices. also, i setup my airport express as a repeater so that i can keep my printer and stereo attached to that. so far, so good. noticed an immediate improvement in speed on the ipad and iphone after reconnecting the network. speedtest would peg out at about 10-11mbs on the express, but now i'm getting upwards of 18-19mbs off the AEBS. the macbook pro also saw a slight speed bump in connecting to the network. biggest improvement was seen in watching netflix off the blueray player, as i now have a direct ethernet cable running from the AEBS to the console.

next step is to find a large usb drive to use for time machine backups and network storage....

thanks all for your help and explinations.