Airport Extreme skeptic but second thoughts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bruinsrme, Jul 21, 2009.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

So today i finally hooked up the Airport Extreme. I thought the price was high but it had the guest feature which I liked.
    I have been a linksys loyalist and still recommend them will will continue to do so.

Pretty slick device and seems to have all the features I have grown accustomed to with linksys. The layout of the features is a little less straight forward than the linksys but that just maybe years of using them.

I think the best feature is the guest network. Supporting m wifes friends computer issues its nice to have the guest feature so i am not using my credential for my secure network.

Throughput, signal strength, and speeds are the same as the linksys.
    I like the usb connection as I can use my removable drives instead of my clunky NAS. having a network ready printer the port can be used for other functions.

It is a nice piece of gear. I know I can get away with the $49 linksys as many others can but with liking to play with new things on the network this should keep me entertained for a little bit. if you are wondering if it is worth what they carge, bottom line probably not but the if you need a guest network, usb network back up or usb network printer then this is definitiely a viable option.
    Nice job Apple

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Don't forget AirTunes, I bought one just for my stereo. I already had the AEBS. :cool:

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

How exactly does the Guest Network work? I never really used that option on mine. Don't know if its a good idea to have access to free internet to your neighbors.

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Do you have an Airport Express or an Airport Extreme?

5. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

thank you extreme.
    I was dealing with an express card issue on the other laptop while I was typing the OP

6. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The guest works as a different gateway if you will.
    The primary network is riding on the 10.1.1.X network and the guest is riding on a 172.16.42.x network.

You can WAP/WEP both primary and guest networks so there is no poaching on your resources. You can also turn off the guest network.

It looks like the Extreme is a router and dual gateway. pretty slick