Airport Extreme slowing down internet connection to 1/10

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by natanael, Oct 3, 2014.

1. natanael macrumors newbie

As the titel says, I'm having trouble with my Airport Extreme.

My ISP provides all customers with a combined modem and router. I am not interested in using this device as a router, but the unit has to be in place due to its modem function. Therefore, I've put the unit in bridge mode, and connected a Airport Extreme directly into the modem. And this is where i run into trouble..

There is no problem getting a connection up and running, but I was disappointed with the speed. So I ran a test, and it confirmed my suspicions. Due to some reason, the Airport only provides me with about 1/10 of the speed I'm supposed to get.

After this, I activated the router function in the modem, and gave that network a go. Immediately, my speed went up and I was seeing the speed I pay for.

So my question to you is, does anyone have an idea what is causing the Airport to reduce the speed?

TL;DR: Combined modem/router running in bridge mode with deactivated router functions. Airport Extreme connected after that, and reducing the speed to 1/10 compared to just running the combined modem/router.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try doing a factory reset and reconfiguring.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Using my ISP's router in bridge mode with my Airport Extreme results in a far faster connection (in excess of my ISP's specifications) than when using their modem/router in 'normal' mode. Your Airport Extreme is capable of very good performance; it is worth investigating your installation and settings to see what is wrong. Perhaps a bad cable?

A.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Look into buying your own modem for like $70 on Amazon (Motorola surfboard) if it's cable internet, and not paying them for the rental. Get docsis.3 Again, if it's cable, not FIOS or U-Verse.