Airport extreme slows down internet, why?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gr8pics, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gr8pics macrumors regular

gr8pics

After i installed my airport extreme to my broadband router, everything thing is so much slower, even if the speed test shows correct speed, the opening of pages, sendingmails etc takes forever compared to before, both on imac, macbook and ipad, what is wrong?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Why would you hook your Extreme to a router? The Extreme itself is a router. Did you mean to type modem?

3. gr8pics thread starter macrumors regular

gr8pics

4. gr8pics thread starter macrumors regular

gr8pics

So, now that weve clarified that, what is your suggestion?

5. darster Suspended

Did you completely power off the modem by unplugging it before hooking up the router? If not, unplug both modem and router. let them sit for a mintue or two. Plug the modem back in, wait a minute for the modem to start back up, then power on your router. See if that helps.

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This is what I would also suggest. Power cycling should do the trick.

7. ABTsportsline macrumors newbie

I'm having this same problem. Multiple reboots of both the router and modem yield an improvement for 5 minutes or so, then speeds drop back down to .25 Mbps. I'm on a 25 Mbps connection but can only see max speeds of .25 Mbps with the Airport Extreme. If I plug the computer directly into the modem I can get full 25 Mbps with no issues.

I have both Mac & PCs on the network so I am pretty sure it's not a compatability issue. If I try my old Linksys router I can get consistent 25Mbps speeds, but the range isn't as good (why I purchased the Airport Extreme).

Thanks!