Airport Extreme SNMP Interface Descriptions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apocrathia, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

I've been trying to graph my bandwidth from my airport extreme base station over snmp, and I can't figure out what the snmp device id's correlate to. can anyone help?
    I have:
    1. mgi0
    2. mgi1
    3. mv0
    4. mv1
    5. lo0 (Obviously the loopback)
    6. wlan0
    7. wlan1
    8. wlan2
    9. wlan3
    10. bridge0
    11. bridge1
    12. rxq0
    I have NO idea what the mgi, mv, or rwq are. nor any clue as to which wlan correlates to which wireless interface. I found this post on the apple forums which seem to be for the older airport, but not for the aebs2 that i have.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1943643&tstart=0

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. jussip macrumors newbie

Interfaces

As far as I'm able to tell the interfaces are as follows:

• mgi0 is the LAN-side Ethernet ports
    • mgi1 is the WAN (Internet) connection
    • wlan0 is the wireless network at 2,4GHz
    • wlan1 is the wireless network at 5GHz

lo0 is obviously loopback. I would guess that bridge0 is the internal bridge interface. I have no idea what mv0 and mv1 are.

My Airport Extreme (Simultaneous dual-band II, MC340Z/A, Software 7.5) has only these ones. I'm not seeing wlan2 and 3, but I guess those might be the guest wireless network interfaces, which I have not enabled. Similarly one for each frequency. Perhaps bridge1 relates to the guest network as well, as it would function differently than bridge0 (guest network doesn't see the internal network). Also, I have nothing connected to the USB port, so perhaps the rxq0 is for that.

One thing that I noticed, my Extreme seems to tell me double the traffic on mgi1. I was testing this and consistently saw traffic at double the real speed, so I had to divide the numbers by 2. I used MRTG to graph the traffic and luckily that was easy to do.

Hope this info is of use to someone.

3. RvB macrumors newbie

Double Numbers

I can confirm the above, I also see double the actual speed both on mgi0 en mgi1. I have just started monitoring my Airport Extreme and found this post while searching for a solution.

I'm using Paessler to monitor and have yet to figure out how to divide by 2 :)

4. philfry, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

philfry macrumors regular

Hate to revive an old thread but I have been seeing double bandwidth on MG1 as well. I noticed that SNMP Test Utility and NetUse Traffic Monitor doesn't reflect the double bandwidth. I'm assuming it takes this into account. I have cacti setup and I thought I was using a lot of bandwidth but realized the numbers are off.

Apparently, this is a known issue with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme. NetUse compensates for this SNMP bug.