Airport Extreme speed check

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmaxdmax, May 1, 2007.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

How can I tell how fast my wireless link is working? It's the first time I've used one and I have no idea if files are copying from my MacBook to/from my USB HD at 5% or 50% or 99% of what they should be. Things are taking longer than I expected but that could easily be the result of inflated expectations.

I have a new (N) basestation and a C2D MacBook w/the N updater.

Thanks.

2. waynergy macrumors newbie

While transferring the file, open Activity Monitor and click the "Network" tab.

3. superted666 Guest

superted666

I have the extreme operating at 5ghz
    Network util says 300mbps which is correct for a US router (not in the US but shhhh)

I transfer to my airdisk at about 3MB per second when i tested. not as fast as i was hoping. theoretically should be near 9? but then might be limitation of USB? not sure?

4. djbrickhouse macrumors member

I just went wireless last night with an Airport Express with airTunes.

Are you telling em now that I can connect a USB External HDD to the USB port on the Airport Express and have an wireless external HDD?

Yeah? If so, that's super sweet...

5. djbrickhouse macrumors member

hmm. although the airport express has a USB port, it looks like it does not support an air disk, just the airport extreme does....

6. superted666 Guest

superted666

7. superted666 Guest

superted666

im getting about 3mpbs from my extreme airdisk.

I should get faster over N im sure, its set to 5ghz with wide channels and it says 300mbps speed but i cant see why its so slow?

What do people get when transferring into the the airdisk? im interested to see if others get any faster?