Airport extreme & synolgy 211j

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aibolit66, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Aibolit66 macrumors newbie

Good morning,
    Please help me to make a right dessision, I was trying to seach for an answer but could not find it. I am switching from PC to Mac and trying to replace all my 7 years old equipment (router, smal external HD etc).
    I really like the idea of using NAS and in paticular I like Synology 211J.
    Will Airoprt Extreme work with Synology? (Looks like AEBS not on the compatibility list) If not, is there any other router that is compatible with
    Synology that you would suggest?
    My soughts are behind this setup is to use NAS as a storage, streaming and backup for TM with RAID1. Will this work?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

They'll work perfectly fine together. I think the list you're looking at are routers that support Synology's method of automatic setup. APE supports the Synology out of the box with no configuration. However I'd recommend setting up static IP for it, and also manual port forwarding so that the unit is accessible to the outside world.

You'll need to forward port 5000 to be able to access the admin UI from outside your network. I wrote a Synology software review a few months ago. HERE is the link. You're making a good choice :)

3. Aibolit66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blevins,Thank you very much for your reply. Great review.

4. kkevans macrumors newbie

AE vs. Netgear n900

Blevins, I also just got a Synology NAS 211 and I am very happy with it. The one flaw is I have a second generation airport extreme and I can tell that the nas is causing problems- the performance isn't what I'd expect. I am going to buy a new wireless router and am having trouble deciding between the new Airport Extreme and the Netgear n900. I think the Netgear will be faster, but I have an wireless network in the house with the Airport Express which gives me an ethernet connection downstairs for my TV/BlueRay. Do you think the Netgear will allow me to still create this network easily in the house with the Express? Have you read much about Netgear vs. the new AE performance-wise? I have all mac products and AE is just so easy. Thanks for any input!