Airport Extreme + T Mobile 8320 Blackberry = UMA problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pamon, Sep 30, 2007.

1. pamon macrumors 6502

Any blackberry 8320 users here using the airport extreme router for the UMA voice calls? having problems with phone calls not going through. Other starbucks connections work but the airport extreme is having issues

2. pv1 macrumors newbie

Yes!

Couldn't help but notice your post on this site after I googled about blackberry curve problems with airport. I joined the forum just to post on this topic.

I had an Airport Express router and could not make this phone work. The phone would drop the call (while in UMA mode) within the first 5 seconds of connecting. I went out and bought an Airport Extreme router, thinking my signal was too weak. Well, that wasn't it either. Same problem occurred. I have done some research (very limited) and turns out (from what I understand, which is very little) that the Airport series of routers do not have WMM working or available. This needs to be enabled to make the phone work. The phone is pretty neat, but until it works on Mac I am not using it. Afterall, Mac is probably not the only router without WMM. I took it back two days ago after 12 hours of tech support with TMO and RIM.

If anyone figures out how to make this thing work, please post a reply, because I would like to purchase again. The phone was great because it was so easy to Bluetooth tether as a modem to my G4 PB.

In the meantime check out the posts on Howard Forums (I am not a member there)...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=9960466

Good luck!

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

4. pamon thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, no reply. i'm guessing i'm SOL on this. seems like it "should" work but dunno...

afraid to get into a long discussion w/ TMO tech support on this

5. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Just a thought, it could be the Airport -or- your ISP.

6. oegjr macrumors newbie

UMA issues

I too have UMA issues with my Airport extreme at work. I have tried changing the settings, but with little luck.

I have a Linksys router at home which has fewer problems. About once a day, my airpot loses its connection. Was really sure why, but it is losing every voice call.

It seems to work for a while after I change the settings and reboot, I have also changed it so that it does not timeout the WPA key. I also changed the multicast rate a few times, with the only sure result was that a higher one seemed to drop more calls. I am using the lowest setting now and it is working for now, although, I just rebooted. I am not even sure what the multicast rate is and Apple's instructions are not very good about those details...

7. peachfuzz123 macrumors newbie

Problem with AirPort Extreme + BlackBerry 8320

My husband has been waiting for this new BlackBerry. But now he's unhappy because it won't work with our AirPort Extreme. Works like a charm at Starbucks' Wi-Fi. I have sent an email to Apple Support and hoping they will have answers.

8. tippi4u macrumors newbie

T-Mobile UMA and Airport Extreme Problems

I also have the Airport Extreme and the Blackberry Curve. I called T-Mobile to get the hotshop@home serves. I spent an entire day dealing talking to T-Mobile. I had to purchase the D-link router from T-Mobile. It was $55.00 with a $55.00 rebate. It still did not work properly. I got really frustrated with T-Mobile and finally contacted D-link. They changed the IP address to the same IP address as my router and it worked beautifully. The Airport Extreme will not work alone with the T-Mobile Hotspot@home feature. You have to purchase the D-link or Linksys router. :D

9. jwander macrumors newbie

Is there a reason you choose d-link over linksys?