AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule/2 AirPort Expresses = Slow Connection?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yOGi420™, Feb 23, 2010.

1. yOGi420™ macrumors member

yOGi420™

I just got a time capsule and replaced my extreme with it then added my 2 expresses to the network. Was getting 28-33mbps download speeds using speedtest.net to test now i'm getting only 4-6mbps. WTH!!! Also the transfer rate for backing up my macbook to the tc drive is ridiculous!!! Can someone help me out here???? i can't figure out what he problem could be.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

open Network utility, in applications/utilities, under info, select airport, what does your speed say?
    I've got 270 Mbit on N with wide channels
    54 Mbit is G

keep in mind these numbers are not the speeds you will actually see on data transfer.

also how do you have the expresses setup? to join or extend?

in extend mode, if the signal is going through them, they can cut your network speed, for every jump the signal makes, you will loose speed, I've heard it can be as much as in half for each jump, so 2 jumps = 1/4 speed.

With Join, you won't see the speed drop as much, they might eat a little bandwidth, but it's not much.

also, it could just be a slow day, or time of day. i know my connection varies greatly over the course of the day depending on what my neighbors are doing.

3. yOGi420™ thread starter macrumors member

yOGi420™

I set up my Time capsule to be transmitting only on the N radio and then set up my AEBS to bridge mode running it off one of the ports on the TC. The AEBS is transmitting on the b/g/n radio with 1 of the expresses joining as an extender and the other just joining. With this config I get the full speed I expected. THe problem is that the TC is not giving me full speed when running on the mixed radio only when set to n only. I had wanted to sell the AEBS to recoup some of the money spent on the TC. I had this problem with another TC and had sent it back thinking it was a hardware issue but now that this one is doing the same thing I starting to think it might be something else going on.
    My speed was the 270 on the TC and 160 on the AEBS.