Airport Extreme/Time Capsule - Can I use ADSL2+

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adjones, Jan 16, 2008.

1. adjones macrumors member

adjones

I am looking at getting an Airport Extreme (although likely to be Time Capsule now) and was wondering if they allow ADSL2+ internet connections (I'm in the UK)?

I like the idea of wireless Time Machine. Is it supposed to support more than one Mac (i.e. an iMac and MB) on the same home network?

2. deboni macrumors member

deboni

Airport Base station and Internet connections

I have an older Airport Express (I'll be getting a Time Capsule). It connects to the internet via a connection to whatever broadband device you have - DSL interface or cable box. It then acts as a router, disseminating local IP addresses to all its client computers via either wireless and wired connections; it has three Ethernet ports, two of which will be available, since one connects it to the broadband interface, so it's also a wired Ethernet hub. It can distribute a large number (around 250) IPA's, so it should serve fine as a household device. You will find this pretty painless to set up and automatic to use.

Tom

3. adjones thread starter macrumors member

adjones

Thanks for the reply Tom

The reason I ask is that my connection given to me by my ISP is not DSL or ADSL but ADSL2+ which is the latest phone line high speed broadband connection (in the UK at least) offerring up to 24mbps. You quite often you get routers that are not compatible with ADSL2+ and I need to be certain before ordering one.

I don't have a Mac Store nearby to pop into and ask.

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Hey. Are you using Be? If so, I use them too - very good ISP.

The way you would work it is by connecting the Airport to one of the ethernet ports at the back of your current router/modem. The Airport doesn't have a modem in it like (I assume) your current router.

An advantage of this is that you can use your old wireless router as a b/g network, therefore not slowing down your n network.