airport extreme/time capsule soldout on Amazon

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SaudiMac, Oct 11, 2009.

1. SaudiMac macrumors member

2. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I can't imagine they'd update it again, didnt they do it recently. I wish they would do though because its a little expensive at the moment IMO

3. Crucial9 macrumors newbie

I predict New models

My Extreme was acting up on me, I just not at work (I work for a major electronics retailer) went to buy one to take home and see if that solved the problems I was having; well we are sold out. I checked the other stores in the region and they are almos all also sold out and the warehouse has none (usually a few hundred available).

The item is not "deleted" yet, but this usually predicts one of 2 gthings, 1) and updated model is due out soon, 2)they are just backordered (but our site does not say backordered which is usually does if it is).

I think they will release a new model in March (as always) and I remember about a year ago hearing rumors that they would morph the Airport Extreme and Apple TV functionality, I hope so.

4. SaudiMac thread starter macrumors member

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

to all parties concerned..

do not buy a Time Capsule as it will most likely fail after 18months or so of use.

wait until a new revision that is properly ventilated!

6. SaudiMac thread starter macrumors member

are we talking about the first generation or the new one with dual band wifi?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ALL Time Capsules in existence are effected by this. i would ride it out and hope that apple changes the design.

8. SaudiMac thread starter macrumors member

I got my time capsule April 2008. that's almost 18 months ago... don't jinx it :eek:

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ours is 20 months, it died lastweek. i have been researching the problem thoroughly and i know the cause down to the exact few capacitors.

the problem is that there is very little airflow inside of the device, and the PSU (power supply unit) is inside there, the capacitors simply cannot handle heat for that long. i have my TC in pieces currently, just got to buy the correct capacitors to replace it.

did you purchase the TC(Time Capsule) with a mac computer? if the mac computer is still under warranty then the TC will be covered. if not then you are stuffed.

sorry for hijacking, just warning people.

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

We have a time capsule, first gen I think, it gets incredibly hot and the wifi is slower than our old Motorola wireless modem.
    We've had it for probably 18 months now ;), so I can only hope that does not happen.
    How's the Airport Extreme Base Station? is it also poorly ventilated? or is it OK?

I've always wondered, if the operating temperature for the TC is 15-35 celsius, and it feels at least 35, probably 40-50 at some times, could that weaken the wifi signal significantly?

Kind Regards

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

one can only hope that it wont happen, but from what ive heard its inevitable. sorry to say.
    the AEBS is fine! the PSU has an external PSU. nothing to worry about there. but then there are lots of people who have difficultly backing up to an external USB (who knows why). lose-lose here.

my contacts have measured the temperature and its at least 60°C at times. the fans are also badly programmed as well, pointing the wrong way etcetc.

wifi signal/throughput will (of course) be effected but not on a level that us humans would notice.

12. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I was just looking to purhase an AEBS and noticed the dearth of 'em on amazon as well. I find that curious. Considering how my 8yo Netgear router has ben acting, I'm in need of a new one. Other than the vague desire-based rumor of :apple:TV integration, I've seen nothing else to suggest a new one is on the horizon. Best way to resolve that is to buy one, of couse. :rolleyes:

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, well that means my issue of the TC going approximately 3-4x slower, and sometimes even slower than that, is still unresolved :/

It's a bit sad when your Apple TC is out performed by an old wireless modem from about 2-3 years ago.

Kind Regards

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you sure that its TC? or is the browser? or maybe the internet as whole?

in the last few months our household as well as a number of friends across the internet has noticed a big slowdown. maybe its starting to get too busy? anyway, try a local network throughput test (by copying files from one computer to another etcetc) and measure the numbers that you see in Activity Monitor. that will help to somewhat narrow down the problem.

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah, I've done a fair bit of testing, nothing that would be absolutely clear, but it's definitely the TC, at least it appears that way.

Doing YouTube? takes 2-3x less on the Motorola compared to the TC, via the iPod Touch or the Computer.

I'm directly connected via ethernet to the TC, I've noticed a slow down lately but have never experienced it before, this slow down for me is new, but always wirelessly it's slower.

I might try that sometime, thanks, should I monitor activity monitor on both computers or just the one I'm transferring from? or maybe the one that is receiving the data?

Also, what interval should the activity monitor be set to, if it's set to 10 second updates will it note all the data that's changed since the last update?
    I have my activity monitor set to update twice a second I think.

Kind Regards

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting problem you have there.

the motorola is a wireless router? you have a separate modem? your connection model would look like either this:
    internet -->
    modem -->
    TC -->computers (ethernet)
    TC-->Touch (wireless)

or this:
    internet -->
    modem -->
    motorola -->computers (ethernet)
    motorola -->Touch (wireless)

(forgive the bad diagram). or is the setup a bit different? (performance really depends ;))

wirelessly will always generally be slower yup.

preferably from the computer you are sending FROM, but it doesnt really matter as both in/out activity is measured.

2 seconds for me too :D if you send a ~1GB file then you will have enough of the graph to indicate the transfer rates of the TC.

to be honest i have no idea why its going so slow - there are so many variables. we also had big slow downs on ours too. i guess it could be that its dying, but i am no electrical expert so i cannot say. i as under the impression that it either worked or didnt work, a capacitor simply cannot operate at half power and still function properly, unless there is some sort of "slow down mechanism" built in? i doubt that.

bed calls, i will be back in the 6 hrs or so!

17. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The diagram would go like this:
    Cable -> Plugs into Wireless modem
    Ethernet from Wireless Modem to TC
    Ethernet from TC to my Computer
    Wireless to everyone else.

My dad is normally connected to the TC, and his computer goes just fine, but his machine is about 3 feet from the TC. Not sure if it's better on the Motorola or not.

I know, but it's recently started slowing down (the ethernet).
    I was comparing Wireless to Wireless, the TC seems much slower.

Thanks

Kind Regards

18. SaudiMac thread starter macrumors member

so I will hold off buying a TC for now (out of stock anyway)

However no one reported any problems with an AirPort Extreme?

19. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

It appears that the problem stems from having the power supply inside the casing of the Time Capsule itself, resulting in overheating that ultimately breaks down the components. The Airport Extreme, on the other hand, has an external power supply so its heat dissipation does not affect the integrity of the unit itself.

20. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Can anybody comment on how well time machine performs with an AEBS and a USB HD as compared to a TC?

If my TC dies, I think i'll be going that route. That is unless Apple fesses up and replaces all of our bad TC's with a reliable backup device (no chance in hell) with a recall or extended warranty...

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm having that one extra hop between the routers would most certainly ad on a bit of latency. i wonder if that would explain the slow-downs.

i would love to see the local copy, both from wireless to wireless and from ethernet (TC) to wireless. keep sending from the same wireless computer that way it would help to keep the some variable and possibly show the slowdowns of TC if they are there

bagelche has it in a nutshell :D

excellent description! you said it much better then i ever could have :)

the performance of the AEBS is.... somewhat limited... many people report that their HDDs disappear randomly, and that sometimes even their backups are corrupted when they try to restore. i think that the problems occur for two reasons.
    1. people use different interfaces to backup (e.g. wireless v wired), which confusing the TM application (wireless has a different backup scheme to wired)
    2. people dont always finish the backup and may cancel it to put the computer to sleep or something.

AFAIK apple hasnt realised that this is a problem yet.. its painful to see and it will take a lot of people for them to wake up.

22. kellte2 macrumors regular

i don't see an update for the AEBS or the TC. From their raw specs, they are both at the very top of the market - with the exception of the new D-Link with the screen, but who needs a screen on a router.

The AEBS was just updated in March of this year, and considering the technology, I just don't see another update happening in the near future.