Airport extreme\Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Serban, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Serban Suspended

Please i need your help.
    First of all i want to know your opinions on these new products.
    It is true that the new AE\TC has 8 antennas and the last generation only 4? A guy from my reseller store told me that and i want to check with you.

Now second i need again your opinions: I have for the last 4-5 years a d-link router for my wired windows XP desktop and for my wifi mac/iphone/ipad/macbook. Now from other than the router room i get around ~20Mbs, and if i go where the router is i get over 40Mbs. Now maybe the router its show its ages i don't know but im considering to buy a new AE or TC, maybe i will get even more than 20Mbs thanks to the extra antennas or for that beam forming, do you recommend for me or should i stick with my older d-link?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not sure how many antennas there are (and not curious enough to go check) but you can see the teardown at www.ifixit.com to see the internals. There are definitely antenna improvements from the past generation to the current Tower model.

I saw considerable improvement in my Wi-Fi speeds when I moved from an older router to my AirPort Extreme 5th gen last year. As to whether you'll see speed improvements, can't say for sure - so many factors of building construction, interference, etc. to consider - but I think it's likely you'd see an improvement. In fact I'd say that if you are still getting slowdown in the other room with the new AExp, then you have an environmental issue that is going to be difficult to surmount, other than by perhaps installing a remote AirPort Express as an extender.

3. Serban thread starter Suspended

ok but can i have internet on windows xp wired ?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, the AirPort Express has three Ethernet LAN jacks.

5. Serban thread starter Suspended

yes i saw that..but is compatible with win xp?
    thank you

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I'm sure you mean the Airport Extreme

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The ethernet ports on an Airport Extreme are going to be compatible with almost any computer with a working ethernet port.

I see no reason why they wouldn't work with an older XP based computer.