Airport Extreme / Time Machine back-ups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xfusejc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. xfusejc macrumors 6502

I actually had no idea this was possible until today when I found out through something else I was looking for. Everything seems to be up to date for me and my software, but for some reason, Time Machine won't recognize an external disk connected to Airport Extreme.

When I click on Airport Utility after connecting my 500GB external disk to my Airport Extreme, it lists it under Disks, but then there's no way for me to Time Machine to find/recognize that connection.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be great. I really need the USB slot in the back of the iMac that the external disk is using.

2. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I had the same problem using my previous Airport Extreme. I have 3 HD's connected to the extreme and time machine would not register any of them. Once I switched over to the Time Capsule yesterday they all showed up with the internal HD of the time capsule for use with Time machine. Sounds like it only works with TC and not the regular Extreme.

3. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

With the last updates Apple provided, it's supposed to be possible. So far, from what I've read, its possible. I'm just not clear how or what I'm doing wrong to get there.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I've been doing Time Machine backups to my USB disk attached to my AEBS since 7.3.1 came out a while back. You need to connect to the server (your AEBS) which should show up in the Shared list in the elft pane of the Finder; click on Connect and entr you AEBS password (it should only ask for password, not username). Then go to Time Machine and the disk(s) should show up as available. I added the AEBS disk that I use for Time Machine to my Login Items in System Preferences->Accounts so that it automatically logs in for me when I log into my account. Hope this helps.

5. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

I can do that, except for the part where AEBS shows up in my Finder under Shared. It doesn't show up at all, for that matter.