Airport Extreme + Time Machine (wired to wireless)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thabandit, Mar 25, 2009.

1. thabandit macrumors member

So I looked around for an answer for a while, but didnt get anywhere.....

Anyways I currently have an external HD for TM backups which I connect via USB to backup, now I want to hook this up to my Airport extreme......anyone know if I can continue the backups wirelessly or will I have to start all over and let it create sparse bundles, etc.

Thanks in advance

2. dimme macrumors 65816

I hope someone has the answer. I want to do the same thing this weekend. Does time machine work with a AEBS and a external drive. I tried to set it up a few weeks ago and time machine did not see the drive.

3. progressweasel macrumors newbie

progressweasel

System hack to use external drive connected to AE

use terminal (Applications --> Utilities --> terminal)
    from the command line:

sudo defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

You will be prompted for your SA password.

If you want/need to set it back to the original setting just substitute 0 for the 1

4. thabandit thread starter macrumors member

any idea if this will continue the backups or create new ones since it will create sparse bundles wirelessly?....

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

It will create the backups from scratch. It has to do with how TM backs up to network attached drives. Rather than copying the files directly, it makes an image file on your computer, then copies the file over (this is what the sparsebundle file is). If you open up the sparsebundle's contents, you'll see that it's not the files themselves like on a physically attached HDD. As far as I know, there is no way to continue a backup from a physically attached HDD when you transfer it to an AEBS or TC. My suggestion would be to create a new backup, but keep a copy of the old backup incase you need to access those files.

Edit: progressweasel's post only addresses the issue of being able to use an AEBS attached HDD as a backup volume.

6. dimme macrumors 65816

7. thabandit thread starter macrumors member

^ for u maybe :p, i wish i could continue the backups wirelessly.....