Airport Extreme - Timing out/slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flynnst0ne, Jan 12, 2016.

1. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

I've had an Airport Extreme in our home for a couple years now, and havent had any issues up until a couple months ago. It seems like all devices connected to the WiFi network now seem to timeout when pretty frequently when trying to load a website, and when the sites do load it seems to take forever.

I've tried power cycling both the modem and the router multiple times without success, and have changed the wifi channel from Auto to Manual, and have selected several different channels...without success...

Anyone experience this or have any tips??

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you plug one of the devices into the router by way of ethernet?

Can you bypass the router, and plug it directly into to cable modem and then test the performance, i.e., speedtest.net.

Its possible that the router is fine, but you are having internet issues. It's also possible the router is failing. One way to figure that out, is to see how the performance is directly against the cable modem.

Which model do you have, the 80211.ac, n or older?

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

And the modem, does it have its own Wifi? If so, did you try turning it off?

4. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running the Airport Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen).

I do have one PC that's hard wired into the cable modem, and i have zero issues with that machine. I'm getting 65mbps down, and 7mbps up.... I just ran the same test on my iPhone connected to WiFi and am getting 6mbps down & <1mbps up...

I wouldnt have expected the router to die in just 2ish years?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2016 ---
    My modem doesnt have WiFi... It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 and is about 1.5 years old

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

If the problem is basically timing out in a browser connecting to a website, could it be a DNS issue? (E.g., the DNS server is taking too long supplying the IP address for a particular domain name.) The wired machine (with no problems) and the WiFi clients (with problems) could be using different DNS servers...

You could use the "nslookup" command to see what DNS server each machine is using.

I'm just guessing, though!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No one would, but stuff happens. Just look at the reviews of a linksys router, many complaints of the transmitters failing a year or two. I know you have an apple and the expectation is that it will last (as it should) but don't dimiss the possibility that it could be a hardware failure.

7. Paco II macrumors 65816

OP, have you tried exporting your settings file from the AE, restoring it to factory, then importing back your settings?