Airport Extreme Timing Out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbharris, May 10, 2010.

1. jbharris macrumors newbie

Forgive me but I am new to this, but I recently bought an Airport Extreme router 2 months ago and have been having troubles with it timing out after about an hour of use. I have 3 computer connected to it wireless, XBox 360 and a blu ray player wired to it. I can only play for 30 minutes or so before it crashes and the internet goes out. Airport Extreme still shows green light, but the internet does not work until I reset router. The same problem will happen if I use one of my laptops and my iMac (which I bought in January). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if I am missing a setting or a check mark on a box.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Try a different channel?

Go into the Airport Utility and choose a different channel. You might have another item in your home or nearby that causes interference on your current channel and kicks your network offline.

Also, make sure your AEBS has the latest firmware/software update.

3. jbharris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

I have tried to change the channels and same thing happened. Yes it is up to date on the firmware/software

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have done a 'hard reset' to my unit when it was acting up with similar odd things happening to mine.

Did that around 6 months ago and set up a brand new network and I have had no problems since then.

I also purchased an additional router and let my AE serve as my 5GHz router for ATV, iMac and MacBook and the new Netgear as a 2.4GHz router for my iPhones and PC laptop. Current AEBS have dual band to accomplish this but mine is 3 years old.

5. jbharris thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the hard reset and introduced each item to the router one at a time without any other device on, still no luck.