Airport Extreme Tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rivix, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Anyone know where I can find some tips setting up a network. I'm 802.11n compatable but only getting 56 MB/s, so its reverting back to 802.11g. Just need some tips. Networks are a pain.

2. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Can you describe your network setup?

Are you aware (you may be) that if you have a "n" laptop and a "g" laptop on the same network, your connection will revert to "g"?

With some more information, it'll be a little easier to help you.

3. Rivix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Well... (confession) i dont have any macs at the moment. I have 2 computers running XP. Both have wireless adaperts that are 802.11n compatable. My parents computer is running 98, and connected via ethernet. Also, my Wii can connect, and its 802.11g, but I turned Connect24 off so it should only connect when its on.

Thats all I can think of. Its not a major problem I'm trying to fix, just trying to optimize it.

4. macleod199 macrumors 6502

If you're going through walls and whatnot, it may not be that it's 'reverting to G', it may just be slowing down due to signal strength problems.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Keep in mind that the upper limits for WiFi connections are purely theoretical. Add in interference, signal weakening, and overhead due to higher-level networking issues and you'll never hit them. It sounds like you're doing about average for a real-world 802.11n network. An 802.11g network pretty much NEVER are able to max their 54mbit/s rating either.

6. Rivix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Ok thanks! Its not a big deal. I get 130Mb/s max, so it's nothing to really complain about.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It doesn't revert to g. When a G device is communicating it takes airtime and it will take more airtime as its slower(to transfer the same amount of data) hence slowing down N because N has less time to communicate on the air waves. :) So if the G device is not doing anything (idle) then it will still be running "full" N speed even though a G device is on the network.