Airport Extreme to boost exsisting wifi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hetalia, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

So I did a WIFI check and this is what I got.
    [​IMG]

Not sure if it's Verizon or my MBP. Sometimes I have to restart the Router because I lose WIFI and sometimes the Wifi is very slow. It varies from time to time. I was wondering if I got a Airport Extreme if this would boost my signal at all or help the problem? Is there and configuration or apps I can use to fix the problem? I know this is probably a stupid question and has been probably asked before. Sorry if it has.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I'd call and yell at Verizon before spending any money. At the very least get an Ethernet cable and try it directly wired.

3. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

This is what I get directly wired which isn't any better. I think I need to talk to Verizon. They advertise fast internet speed and I don't think that is what I'm getting here.
    [​IMG]

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Time for a good old fashioned "Fix your *****" chat with Verizon, methinks.

Wifi dropping signal could be a router issue, though. Sounds like you might have two separate problems.

5. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

Lovely.. I'll have to call them and have them get a tech out here. I'm not going to pay for spotty/non-reliable internet. >.>;; Hopefully they can fix it or get me a new router. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Do you have one of those 2Wire or similar integrated modem/router units? I hate those things.

Coming from that, almost any router would be an upgrade. Refurbished AirPort Express are a good option on the cheap, or you could pick up a midrange Netgear and still be better off.

7. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

it's a wireless router/router deal it has 2-4 Ethernet slots one from the computer (my pc) and into this thingy for our DirectTV (which I do not recommend). I actually set it up now that I think of it hopefully I didn't do something wrong. Maybe if I play with the DNS settings I don't really know what I'm doing there. They have one on Best Buy an Refurbished AirPort Express I mean I might buy it and hopefully it will help.