Airport Extreme to switch... will it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zsciaeount, Jan 22, 2011.

1. zsciaeount macrumors newbie

I wanted to get some advice about extending my network using Apple products. This looks like it hasn't been addressed thru the forums in nearly 3 years.

Here's my setup: I have an Airport Extreme Base Station in one room, and I have 4 devices that require wired connections in another distant room.

Can I:

-Use an Airport Express in WDS mode to extend the network.
    -Connect the AE to a SWITCH
    -Connect the switch to my devices (TV, Blu-Ray player, Satellite receiver, PS3)

My main question is whether or not I will run into IP problems. The way I see it, the Extreme Base is my router, the Express is my access point beyond the router, so a switch should be all I need to connect those 4 devices... right?

Or, do I need another router?

2. balamw, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

EDIT: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11772204&posted=1#post11772204 I'm not sure this actually works with the Express as it does with the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme.

I was running a setup similar to what you describe in my last house.

Router was ISP provided, and the Airport Express was connected to that. In another room, I had a Time Capsule set to Extend the network that also had 4 devices connected to it (You can make the WAN port act like a LAN port).

As long as the Express is in bridge mode, what comes out the Ethernet port is your LAN.

B