AirPort Extreme: Tracking usage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nermal, May 22, 2009.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

Does anyone know whether there's a way to track Internet usage from an AirPort Extreme (preferably by MAC address)? I'm providing access to my tenant but I'd like to be able to see how many GB she's using.

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I don't believe there is, the only way to would be to install some software on your tenant's computer. I doubt that is appropriate for you, though :p

Actually, what does the WAN of the AirPort Extreme link to? If it's a modem sort of a device, see if it can track. If it can also assign DHCP IP addresses, then put the AirPort Extreme into bridge mode and then you'd be able to track using the modem/gateway.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unfortunately my router only seems to show totals, ie. my own usage is lumped in there too. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

so download a bandwidth monitor on your own computer, then subtract your amount from the total and there ya go. could get complicated with multiple devices though...

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, that won't work as I have two computers, an iPod and an Xbox. As far as I know there's no way to monitor the iPod or Xbox.