Airport Extreme Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by azstinger, May 3, 2011.

1. azstinger macrumors member

So last night I go to bed with my TV and internet working just fine.

Today when I woke up the internet was down as was the TV. My Fiancee calls our ISP and they somehow get the TV back up and online. The modem they say never went offline. I soft reset both the modem and router a few times since I know sometimes they just need to get a little cleaned up. No luck.

I can connect directly into the modem from my computer but not through the router. The airport utility is saying that I have no IP address.

Connect Using: Ethernet
    Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
    IP Address: 169.254.132.199
    Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    Router Address:

I did a hard reset of the router and am just getting the same error. Please help, this blows.

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

How are you connecting to the internet - is your acess via DSL? Cable? The reason I ask - if it's DSL, is your Modem handling the PPPoE login? because your "Connect Using" setup is via ethernet. One of them needs to be configured for this for DSL access.

If you have a cable modem, there is no login protocol like the above. When you setup the Airport Extreme, don't select the "Manual" option, instead use the "Continue" mode in the first setup window, and see if you can force the AE to "see" the modem IP address.

The other factor I can think of - a conflict wherein the modem AND base station have somehow misconnected in their communication, and ended up with the same IP address, causing a conflict, and hence your symptoms.

3. cmojones macrumors newbie

In addition to this, I have dealt with cable modem and router setups that would ONLY work if you plugged in the cable modem first, let it get as far as it can without the router, then plug in the router to the modem. I kept thinking to myself why would it only work this way, it doesn't make any sense, but I had to do it a couple of times this way and it's the only way that it would work. Hope this helps!

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Good to know that you're working off of a cable modem, because I switched from DSL to Cable just this week. When everything was first set up, we had the same problem - could connect to the internet if modem was directly hard lined to my Computer, but not when it was connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station(AEBS). I did some research, and found some info on the subject.

Most Cable modems, are what is called a "dumb modem". This means that the modem will only recognize ONE "master", so to speak, and in this case it is your computer. Once it goes from computer to AEBS, it will no longer recognize this "new" master. The ONLY fix that worked for us, and believe it or not, this did the trick:

Power off EVERYTHING - the computer, cable modem, Airport Extreme AND, here is the important part, you must disconnect each of these components from their electrical source - pull OUT the power cords. Leave everything in this state for a few minutes - NOT less than 60 secs at the very least. Then, connect them again to the AC, and do a HARD reset of the AEBS. At this stage connect the modem via ethernet to the AEBS, NOT your computer. Power them on only one at a time. So, say the AEBS is first , then power on the modem, then the computer.
    Now open Airport Utility. If your computer does not "see" the AEBS, connect it (NOT the modem), via ethernet to your computer to do the configuration. It should like like this:

AEBS.jpg

AEBS2.jpg

The above totally worked for us, setup after that was smooth as silk, network is just fine. Give it a try.