AirPort Extreme unable to keep up with BB Cable modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sapporobaby, Sep 8, 2008.

1. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I recently switched from a 24/1 mb/s ADSL connection to a 110/5 mb/s connection. With Ethernet, I get approximately 100 to 105 mb/s but when I connect via the AirPort Extreme (N) on 5 Mhz, I get no more than 55 or 60 mb/s. It appears that the super speed Apple advertises is misleading at best and out right lying at most. If anyone has any ideas how to get more speed out of their AEBS, I am all ears.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

N runs at 240 Mbps (about 30MBps), but I will say that your bottleneck is your computer. 240Mbps is a theoretical maximum, with the fastest processor and tons or RAM. If you are unsatisified with the speed, I would complain directly to Apple, because it may be a hardware/firmware issue on the APE.

TEG

3. sapporobaby thread starter macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hmmmm.... Interesting. Any idea why you think the computer is the bottleneck. I have a MBR with 3 gigs of ram. I can got almost 110 mb/s via ethernet, but when used with wifi, it drops to about 60 mb/s. To me, this indicates that the AEBS or card in my Mac is the problem.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because it take more CPU to operate a wireless card, whereas ethernet is a different critter. I would seriously consider getting Apple to check it out, and it may be an issue with your card as well.

TEG

5. sapporobaby thread starter macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Thanks TEG. I will do that. I have a friend at Apple here in Finland. I will take it in for a test. Do you think I should take in the AEBS as well?

6. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

just remember that those 240Mbps are in ideal radio environments and includes protocol overhead as well as amount of coding, meaning that the REAL/usable bitrate in a real situation must be far below this..

For comparison, have you ever got 54Mbps out of a .11g wifi network?