Airport Extreme update screwed up my Azureus connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ickysticky74, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ickysticky74 macrumors newbie

i just installed the new Airport Extreme firmware and it has made me get yellow Smileys in Auzureus. I made sure the "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" is checked like it was before and it is. No matter what i try I can't get Green Smileys it sux Please help anybody. My "Incoming TCP listen port is 5556" in Azureus. NEED MY GREEN SMILEYS. Getting terrible download speeds. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

if you figure it out let me know, i'm getting the same problem. send me a PM

3. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Ditto here... I am always showing as "firewalled" in the bottom status bar... Very irritating.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. macleod199 macrumors 6502

So this isn't just me? Interesting! I had jumped right to blaming my ISP. As near as I can tell, the problem is that it's got the internal IP wrong. If I go to the NAT test in Azureus it says my internal address is x.x.x.120, rather than the actual address. Hrm.

6. ickysticky74 thread starter macrumors newbie

There has to be somebody out there that can help.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Are you sure you're getting a REAL IP address and are not being given yet another private one from your ISP?

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

2. Did you ever try forwarding the UDP port? In most cases I find the listen port is on UDP or both TCP/UDP.

8. Chris F macrumors regular

Go into the manual setup and forward the port being used by Azureus to the IP that is being assigned to you via DHCP from the airport. It will work fine.

9. ickysticky74 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry I must be real challenged I tried to what you said but couldn't figure it out please a little bit more info Please and Thank you

10. Chris F macrumors regular

1. Start Airport Utility
    2. Select your Airport Extreme click 'Manual Setup'
    3. Select 'Internet' at the top click the 'NAT' tab ensure 'Enable NAT Port Mapping' is checked
    4. click 'Configure Port Mappings' (takes you to Advanced->port mapping)
    5. Click '+' in the dialog that pops up, put the port you are using in Azureus into all four port fields (ignore the 'chose a service' dropdown)
    6. Put the local IP of your Mac into the IP field (if you dont know your ip you can find it in system preferences network->TCP/IP tab or via ifconfig from console or via lots of utilities such as iStatPro)
    7. Click continue, give it a name in the description field (e.g: Azureus) and leave the other fields blank, click done

Save the config (click 'update') let the airport reset and you are good to go.

11. macleod199 macrumors 6502

The problem is not the real/private issue... this is normally handled automagically by NAT-PMP (the standardized equivalent of UPnP developed by Apple). The problem is that it appears to be broken with the latest firmware. It's good to know that doing it manually still works, though.

12. ickysticky74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Thank you so Much Got my Green Smiley back. Thank you
    Thank you :D

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It is a problem when you're on a private IP and you can't control the ports. I had an apartment with a blazing fast connection. The problem was that I was behind their router (10.0.x.x) and I couldn't make any changes upstream.

If you're on a public IP and you're behind a router then you have much more control since it's your router.

14. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Okay, I see what you're saying, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that both I and the original poster have a public IP for our Airport, but NAT-PMP seems to be broken as of the latest firmware (i.e. it was working fine and suddenly stopped).

15. pamon macrumors 6502

ditto on the last post. was working perfectly as of last week and now all green smilie's are gone... hope someone's fixin this one..

16. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

THANK YOU SO MUCH...for some reason I was able to get this all working correctly a long time ago but this new airport update did something and for the life of me I couldn't remember what I did previously to get the green smileys. Your little tutorial there worked perfectly. Thanks! All green here..

17. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Downgrading to the 7.1.1 firmware also works (you can manually select it in the Firmware section of the Airport software). It's not that you couldn't remember what you did... it's that NAT-PMP is broken in 7.2.1. Hopefully it'll be back to being easy and Apple like in the next update, especially as people with the new version of the router can't downgrade.

18. defsquad macrumors regular

are folks with the latest version of the AEBS (with gigabit lan ports) stuck with not being able to go back to the 7.1.1 firmware? anyone know if airdisk works right on the gigabit lan version of the AEBS? i was looking at getting one to free up the 2.4ghz band that is so crowded in my house, and am really wanting to take use of that usb port for my external hard drive. i've read so many mixed reviews/reports on the aebs, but haven't read much on the latest version with gigabit lan ports. how could apple have screwed this product up so bad, i really really hope it gets to be a better product and runs better than it apparently does now.

19. macleod199 macrumors 6502

This poster claims that downgrading to 7.2 (I assume the shipping version?) on his Gigabit version works for the connection problem, which makes the AirDisk problem less frequent, but I don't know if it address the problem completely:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4192732&postcount=2

20. jhande macrumors 6502

That was me. Well, I'm getting the fallout sometimes (when using Azureus, natch), but much less than before. I'm averaging a 'pull the power on AEBS, put it back' about once every 1.5 days. Wrt to AirDisk, this is the same.

Just to reaffirm that the difference really is due to the downgrade, I 'upgraded' to 7.2.1 yesterday. 4 drops in 6 hours. Needless to say I'm back to 7.2.

I just wish we'd get an update soon, this is getting pretty tiring.

21. cquaade macrumors newbie

No "NAT" tab is showing in the Airport Utility...

Dear Chris F,

My problem is that once I click on "Internet" at top, no tab for "NAT" shows up (only one for "Internet Connection"). I have the latest update for my AEBS and the utility. Is there a setting that makes it disappear?

So I'm unable to see the NAT status of my AEBS.

22. cquaade macrumors newbie

In exactly what software application can you perform a downgrading of the AEBS firmware version? I'm at 7.2.1, and it may be my problem. I need more detailed help here.

Thanks,
    C

23. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I'm not at home so I can't give you exact directions, but I believe it's on the first tab that comes up in Manual Settings in the Airport configuration utility. If I remember correctly there's something near the firmware version number that may not be obviously clickable, but will give you a drop-down list of available firmware versions.

As far as I know it will only let you downgrade to firmwares you previously installed with the utility (I assume they're kept in a local cache somewhere). If your router came with 7.2.1, you're out of luck, unless you can figure out a way to fool it. If you have a gigabit version, you're definitely out of luck, as 7.1.1 doesn't support it.

24. cquaade macrumors newbie

Thanks, MacLeod. I have options to downgrade all the way down to 7.0. My EABS is a new N wifi version (i.e., not a UFO). Does mine have gigabit? (gigabit ethernet, you mean?). Did you see my response to Chris F: I do not get a tab for NAT settings showing up, when I click on the "Internet" settings icon. Can you explain this?

Regards,
    Q

25. ikers macrumors newbie

ikers

Azureus TCP listening Port: Airport Express

From Airport Admin Util (and after selecting your Airport Express):
    Click on "Base Station Options"
    Check "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol"
    Hit Ok
    Click on the "Port Mapping" Tab
    Add
    Put in your chosen port number in the private and public port. AND match the private IP address to your computer's specific IP address. (Can be found within your Network Settings under TCI/IP.)
    Ciao!
    Ikers:apple: