Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
sucks for me, I only use mine as an access point (router software sucks if you want to do anything more advance then the basic stuff.) I would have loved to been able to use the other two ethernet ports to hook stuff up. We tend to saturate the line though.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
I was just looking at it and was wondering whether the airport drive is as slow as those attached to most other NAS. Read does anyone know if serves faster than lets say 5Mbyte/Sec ?

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
No, you're wrong. The gigabit ports have racing stripes down the side.

:D

And a spoiler. ;)

So, this begs the question, is Apple going to update the Airport Express to similar specs? Right now the Airport Express is the red-headed stepchild of Apple's hardware offerings since the Mac Mini was just updated.

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Jumbo frames?

Anyone know if the new AE supports jumbo frames over GbE? Or will it take a third revision to get this device right.

astonius

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
Martin, TN
And yes, for all that were wondering, I do feel screwed for buying the one without the gigabit ethernet a couple months ago...

Amen. They should have a trade-in service or something. All the computers I have hooked to my Airport Extreme have gigabit ethernet and could definitely benefit from it. :mad:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Bought one just the other week....but I only use wireless anyway...so no worries! I was more irritated when I bought my MacBook and the local apple store had a sale two weeks later and I would have saved €200. Oh well.....win some lose some! :D

Mollemand

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Hmmm, your family really really needed Gigabit to transfer huge files between their machines? Or was it their greater-than-100Mbit internet connection? Or maybe, it was your inner-geekiness that's hooked on specs more than functionality that made you go with a much-harder-to-maintain router from another company?

Honestly: I am currently using a 10Mb internet connection that comes with the rent of the flat (and the rent is cheap). It is not an option, the rent is not lowered by not having the internet. A $50 a month extra will get you a 124Mb connection. Yes! Giga-bit is certainly something you DO want. +100Mb internet is easily there by now (at least to the first bottleneck).

Considering HD content, you don't want to move some 10GB by a 100Mb LAN if you can do it 10 times faster... I for one believe that you will feel that yourself in the scope of 12 months or so. If you - like me - haven't upgraded by then, feel free to curse me :)

Best...

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
And a spoiler. ;)

So, this begs the question, is Apple going to update the Airport Express to similar specs? Right now the Airport Express is the red-headed stepchild of Apple's hardware offerings since the Mac Mini was just updated.

I can see apple waiting until 802.11n has some definitive standards to update the Express.

Although I may have to buy the Extreme not that it has gigabit.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A Gigabit port looks different than the standard 10/100

No they are both just the same RJ45 connector.

If you really do need 1000BaseT then you can buy a small switch and connect the switch to the router and then have your local LAN running at Gigabit speed. The only thing yu might really want Gigabit for is the conection to a file server or maybe for remote desktop. But mostly if you have a fast file server where you keep you user home directories. If you have a setup like this you likely need a switch anyways. I know I've got many more devices then the Apple router has ports so Ive got a 16 port switch

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
That's nice...how about while they're at it, they add AirTunes so it has all the features that the less expensive model has? I'd love to replace my Express with an Extreme, so I could have one unit that does EVERYTHING, as opposed to what I have now (an Express plugged into a Linksys box).

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No they are both just the same RJ45 connector.

If you really do need 1000BaseT then you can buy a small switch and connect the switch to the router and then have your local LAN running at Gigabit speed. The only thing yu might really want Gigabit for is the conection to a file server or maybe for remote desktop. But mostly if you have a fast file server where you keep you user home directories. If you have a setup like this you likely need a switch anyways. I know I've got many more devices then the Apple router has ports so Ive got a 16 port switch

Do ANY of you people EVER read other posts??

For the 3rd and last time.

I was thinking of Firewire at the moment.OK?

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Aren't there incompatibilities between 'jumbo frame' and other 802.11 specs? This may be why Apple hasn't included this support, yet.

I'm not looking for jumbo frame support over the wireless, but rather over the four GbE ports.

Mollemand

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007

Firewire? But they are not identical! The 400 and the 800 are different connectors.. It is the T100/1000 connectors that are the same.

:D

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I'm not looking for jumbo frame support over the wireless, but rather over the four GbE ports.

I'm not sure, but there are problems with the wired connections to, especially in systems where jumbo framing could actually be used, such as token lans, etc.
I'm not a network guy, so I could be wrong, but this may be a case of Apple ignoring a system that causes more problems than it solves, except in certain particular applications most users are never going to notice.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

Now, they're just having fun with you.

Poor guy. I just made a mistake in the iMac thread, there are apparently two different keyboards, and I expect to hear about it for the next five pages of the thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.