Airport Extreme USB attached HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whsbuss, Jun 21, 2013.

1. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Anyone know if the new Airport Extreme supports USB connected hard drive for Time Machine? If so, does the HD have to be powered externally or will the AE provide power?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Officially, no.

People do it but with varying levels of success. I wouldn't trust it myself.

AE can handle bus-powered or self-powered drives.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Actually, I saw on a post on the official apple discussion board that the new ac AirPort Extreme can do time machine backups, even with the airport express rather than the time capsule. It is in the manual PDF you can download from apple's web site. I will try to find the link once I get done posting here.

----------

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/airport_extreme_80211ac_setup.pdf

It is shows how to set it up on page 13.

One thing to consider is that the new time capsule (with internal drive) is $100 more (2tb I think). Once you factor in what a USB drive costs, it may be worth it to buy the time capsule vs the extreme.

I am glad apple finally officially allows this.

4. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I went with the Airport Extreme over the Time Capsule just because I already had an old 2TB USB drive that I've been using for Time Machine. The Time Capsule is a good option for people who don't have a drive already, but I'm glad Apple "officially" supports using the Airport Extreme to do backups for people who already have a drive.

5. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Thanks all for your response. I currently have a Toshiba 1TB USB 2.0/3.0 drive connected to my Netgear router that works fine. Its powered via the USB port so hopefully the new AE will work.

6. Squizzles macrumors newbie

I'd like to add that you have to connect to the drive first by going to the menu bar GO, then CONNECT TO SERVER. Time machine didn't recognize the drive until I did that. I guess it was common sense but its been awhile since I have done that.

7. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yeah, that's been around for a while but we forget.