Airport Extreme + USB Disk + Back to my mac help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamin100, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Ok here goes.

I recently (last night) got a Airport Extreme from eBay. Origionally brought in November 2008 gigabit model.

I updated the firmware to the latest version (7.4.##) and set the network up.
    I then plugged in my WD mybook and set it up thorugh airdisk, again not a problem.

I then entered my mobileme credentials in the appropiate section to share the disk over the web.

I've come into work today with my macbook and cant see my disk in finder or my Airport Extreme in the airport utility.

I only have 1 mac. I have my airport extreme connected to my Virgin Media (UK) cable modem via ethernet.

Now, have i missed out anything? At work we use a http proxy for port 80 but i have configured this on my macbook and can use my macbook to connect to the internet and browse the network etc...

any help would be appreciated.

2. kkachurak macrumors regular

Make sure the router you're accessing the Internet through at work has "Universal Plug n Play" enabled.

I had to do that to see the disk on my network at work.

3. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Not to hijack the thread, but I've got kind of a companion question to go along with that. I use Qwset as a DSL provider and the NAT and uPNP is disabled on the modem. My understanding is that with a little harassing, you can get them to issue you a static IP and allow those features to be activated on the modem.

My question, though, is that everything I read says that by going that route there can be some security issues. Can anyone chime in with exactly what those are and how 'serious' they truly are?

I'd hate to have someone gain access to my network and perform a delete all on my media library. I ask this because I have a neighbor I'm not too fond of who happens to be a well-versed network engineer and the last thing I want to do is dangle this carrot in front of him.