Airport Extreme USB Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FamiliaPhoto, Jan 26, 2010.

1. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I'm not able to figure out what is going on and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a USB hub connected to my Airport Extreme which has two drives on it. One for time machine and one as a media drive I store my iTunes data on.

Today, at some point, I lost the ability to see the media drive. Going into the Airport Utility and Finder I can see the time machine drive but not the media one. I have connected the media drive directly into the AE bypassing the USB hub but no luck. So I thought it was the hub. I have tried every port on the hub still with no luck. I though one might be dead as the time machine drive is visible.

Then I thought the drive was dead so I plugged it directly into my MBP and it was fine, I was able to access it and all the data no issue.

I can't think of any other troubleshooting measures at the moment, does anyone have any ideas. The drive appears to operate just fine, but cannot be seen through the AE for some reason.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Forgive the obvious question, but have you tried power cycling the AEBS?

3. FamiliaPhoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Great question and yes, I have power cycled the AEBS and the USB drive.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hmm, that's quite the conundrum. Have you tried repairing disk permissions on the drive? What format is the external?

Is this an external that you've put together yourself or one that came assembled? If it's one that you've put together, I'd try swapping the hard drive with another (possibly the Time Machine volume?) and seeing if the other one mounts. If it doesn't, it may be the enclosure. If it does, it might be a failing hard drive.

Another thing you may want to try is to back up the files on the external, reformat and copy the files back.