Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by track09, Jul 7, 2009.

1. track09 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone again,

In compensation for the misinformation at the point of sale about my linksys router, enough fighting with Apple scored me a free Airport Extreme Wireless router, overnight delivered.

First, let me say, this router is AWESOME. Ok, so the setting up is a bit untraditional, requiring a computer application, as opposed to browser setup navigation, but whatever.

This is FAST (wireless n, previous was only g), great for my wired devices, well secured, and overall just great.

So here's my question. I bought a Seagate FreeAgent Go PC edition (and formatted it from NTFS to HFS+ to save money). I have my backup on here (even though my router is right next to my iMac). So I plugged it into the router, and it detected in in the AirPort Utility, but I can't find the "Airport Disk Utility", and it's not on the disc that came with the router.

How to I get it so I can mount this volume on either my wired iMac, or my wireless MacBook Pro?

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are referring to Airport Utility then that is under Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utilities. If you want to connect your iMac you should just be able to plug it in?

3. track09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. But I want have the drive in the AirPort Extreme, so that the iMac and MacBook Pro can have access to it at any time.

Can I mount the drive? Or is it only able to act as a time machine backup or something?

4. track09 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

Fixed it. I learned that there is no longer the "Airport Disk Utility". I was following directions for Tiger.

I just mounted it Via Network by going into my Airport router. This is all very simple. I like it.