AirPort Extreme USB HDD Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KlytusLord, May 20, 2011.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have a WD USB HDD attached to my Airport Extreme, and the transfer speeds are horrible regardless of the computer or operating system used to access the drive. Reminds me of floppy drive speeds back in the day!

I have tested the drive directly attached to a computer, and everything works fine.

Is this a common issue? Any way around it other than removing the HDD from the AirPort?

Thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Is the APE new? (G or N?) And are you trying to access it wirelessly? A G wireless connection on the computer would explain a slow transfer speed.

3. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

All the machines use N and it's a brand new AirPort.

As an example, wirelessly transferring 5GB of photos from a Windows machine to my MacBook takes a about 8 minutes.

Transferring the same files to or from the AirPort HDD takes over 45 minutes.

If I connect the HDD to my windows server and share it, the transfer speeds go back up to normal. All of the activity is WiFi.

The AirPort is set to use both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, with the Mac machines and the Alienware machines connecting using the 5 GHz frequency, and all others connecting via 2.4 GHz.

There are around 15 computers on the network at any given time, all using the AirPort for WiFi, and from computer to computer the speeds are excellent, so the problem seems to be related to the USB HDD.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sounds about right. Transfer speeds are limited due to the tiny CPU inside the AEBS. 8-12MBps is about the limit.

5. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I think I will share the drive via the Windows server then.

6. benchley macrumors newbie

Are you able to have the HDD shared via a Mac similar to the Windows file server, or does it just make more sense to use a windows box as the file server? Tx

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes, Macs support SMB file sharing, and it works pretty well in my opinion.