Airport Extreme+ USB HDD= Time Capsule in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tbobmccoy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

So I know that the AEBS+ USB Hard drive combo isn't officially supported as a Time Machine, but I just bought my new MacBook Air and set my new Time Machine up on the Airport Extreme. My Time Machine is recognizing the setup as a Time Capsule. Anyone else have a similar experience? Would this make it more applicable for error checking if something goes wrong in the future to measure it like a Time Capsule?

2. Lock macrumors member

I tried doing this, but there were two issues: first, it is really slow. Second, I was not confident enough in the process to trust that I'd be able to restore from the backup.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Time Machine backups over Time Capsule or AEBS + USB HDD are always slow. Although there is an advantage that the latter has over the former. If you're restoring, you can disconnect the USB HDD from the AEBS and connect it directly to the Mac and it will recognize it as a Time Machine backup from which to restore.

I haven't had experience with your setup, OP, but I think it could just be Apple's way of "giving in" so to speak. I doubt it will make any difference how it's recognized by Time Machine, though it's interesting that they'd make that change. It leads me to wonder if they might come to support Time Machine over AirDisk eventually...

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Can someone correct me on this? On my new Time Capsule the Time Machine creates a sparse bundle but when connected directly its another type of file. Is that sparse bundle readable when connected directly to Time Machine restores?

Ive got a new Time Capsule which im very unimpressed with and boy does it run hot. So im considering a AEBS so IF the TC ever dies I can still extract the data without voiding the warranty.

5. tbobmccoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Not sure if it works or not, but I know that gigabit ethernet plug DOES work; that's how I used it to initially back up my Pro. Faster than USB by far :D

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I don't have the link on me, but another MR user was kind enough to test this out with their setup. He had a USB HDD connected to his Extreme to which he backed up. He then connected the HDD directly via USB to his Mac and performed a Time Machine restore. I can confirm that the sparesbundle file is readable when connected directly but I haven't restored using that method myself.

You are correct though. When connected directly the files are copied over directly. When connected via network, Time Machine creates a sparesbundle file and copies into that. It's difficult to continue a backup when switching from USB to AEBS or vice versa, but Time Machine allows you to restore easily.