Airport Extreme USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tkowalski, Feb 10, 2012.

1. tkowalski macrumors member

Can I hook up a usb hub to my airport extreme? When I do now, I have a ext hard drive plugged into hub and it doesn't show up.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hub may have to be powered. Sometimes external hard drives draw too much power and the Extreme may not provide enough.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Does the hard drive show up when not connected to the hub?

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Yep, what Intell said.

Note that without a powered hub, the LED on the hard drive (if one exists) might light up, but that doesn't mean it's getting enough juice to operate properly.

5. tkowalski thread starter macrumors member

Usb Hub Aurport Extreme

It's a powered hub. Hard drive does show up when I plug directly to mac. Is there a set up step, like it says you have to do for a printer?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In Airport Utility (not that awful version 6, but the older one) does a Disks tab appear at the top?

7. tkowalski thread starter macrumors member

8. hafr macrumors 68030

AirPort Utility > AEBS > Edit > Disks

9. tkowalski thread starter macrumors member

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

If the disk is not showing up, it may be that it's formatted incorrectly. What format is it now? I believe it has to be either HFS+ or FAT32 (not sure on the last one) for it to be shared via the Disks tab in AirPort Utility.

12. tkowalski thread starter macrumors member

No. I was at the Apple store and was told it sounds like usb hub is not sending enough power to recognize drive? It is an older 2.0 hub. Because I can plug iphone into hub and it shows, means it works but a hard drive needs more power. Makes sense I guess.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm confused... Is it or is it not powered? Does it have an AC adapter that you plug into the wall to provide the hub with power?

Also, is your HDD powered? If your hub does not or cannot have an AC adapter providing it with external power, you may still be able to connect the HDD if it has an external power source itself.

14. tkowalski thread starter macrumors member

As I stated in earlier post, hub is powered, as is hard drive. Because both are older, the compatibility issue may come into play. It seems to be the only other rational answer, as when I plug HD directly into iMac, it shows up. As well as when I plug my iPhone into hub, it's slow but it shows up and works!