Airport Extreme + USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crevice, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Crevice macrumors regular

I just bought an airport extreme, and hooked up my printer and external hard drive to it via a USB Hub (since there is only one usb port in the back). It works but when I transfer files to my hard drive with it in the usb hub, it's very slow. When I put the hard drive directly into the airport extreme without the usb hub its very fast. My question is, is my usb hub crappy, or is this the way it's going to be with EVERY usb hub?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Is it a 2.0 or 1.1 hub? If you've had it hanging around awhile it could be 10 Mb rather than 480 Mb (max).

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

just what i have found, all hubs are the same, they don't power anything, and they are slow.
    but thats my experience.
    and if there is one that does both of those ( not talking about it saying it will power stuff, i have had 4 hubs that have said that) i would like to get it.

so ya...

4. Crevice thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah its crappy 5 dollar 1.1, funny thing is I bought yesterday, without even checking to see if it was 2.0, dumb move on my part. So if I get a 2.0 hub will this solve my problem, or as the poster above said, still be slow?

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

It will be faster, but slow. I usually directly connect my airport disks to my pc (via USB or eSATA) if I have to move around lots of data on them. Accessing them wirelessly is ok for light duty work.

edit: I just tried plugging in one of the disks directly to the router to see if that had any meaningful impact, and the answer is no. They're normally connected to the router through a USB 2.0 hub.

6. Crevice thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for your reply, and for actually trying it out for me. It looks like the hub I got just sucks, which is obvious since its USB 1.1, luckily I only spent 5 bucks on it. I will just buy another one that is 2.0, thanks again for everyones help