Airport Extreme USB Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cornopaez, Feb 4, 2011.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Hey guys,

I've had a AEBS Gigabit Ethernet for a while now and I've had two hard drives, and a printer plugged to it through a hub for as long as I've owned it. I ran out of storage space and bought another HD but it won't show up; it will only recognize two at any given time. I'm guessing there's a limit on how many devices the little thing will recognize (or at least this particular model.) I'm not sure if having a powered hub will make a difference on the number of devices....

So, any one have more info on this? Maybe it's time for me to upgrade to the new base if it supports more devices...

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

A better solution might be to go with a larger drive, move the data over, and have fewer spindles. Or go with a RAID controller, so you can have multiple spindles presented as a single mount.

4. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

The HDD's a self powered. They all have independent power supplies...

5. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

Most of the time I'm on a budget, so buying larger drives is costly; I just picked up a 1TB for $80. Also, I would hate to move 1.5TB to a newer, bigger drive....

Any ideas on the RAID controllers? Sounds like a good idea...

6. dvh13 macrumors newbie

I couldn't find any official documentation as to whether the Gigabit AEBS model limits the number of devices, but I have successfully connected 3 HDs and 2 Printers through a hub to the newer dual band AEBS.
    Personally I had serious reliability issues with the drives mounting and staying mounted until I upgraded to a externally powered usb hub. With the powered hub I have no issues connecting all my devices. For reference two HDs have power adapters and one is bus powered. If I were you I'd try a new hub with a power adapter before trying the RAID setup. RAID is very nice, but can be expensive.
    If the powered hub doesn't work, you can always take it back.