Airport Extreme user, which extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer0803, Oct 12, 2014.

1. jer0803 macrumors newbie

We have the Extreme setup as our main router upstairs in the front of the house. I'm building a deck off the back of the house and connectivity is awful there now.

Any suggestions of what works well to extend the range of this router? I'm not interested in buying a 2nd base station. And I've already read about how to add a device. But I'm not sure which device to get.

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You may want to consider moving the Extreme to a central point on the first floor.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/airport-express/

Airport Express. Just follow this.

4. bubsdaddy macrumors member

I know you aren't looking to buy another base station, but they really work well as an extender and can be picked up used for a very cheap price. You can go back several generations to use as an extender. I picked up a 5th gen with a faulty Wan port (which I didn't need anyway to use as an extender) for $15 on eBay. The added bonus is that you can plug in a USB hard drive to a base station.

I also think an AIrport Express would work for you. The current or previous gen would both do what you want.

5. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I really wouldn't go back any further than a 4th generation because of the changes they made to the Wireless N support and the boosted signal you get from the 4th gen onwards.

Also consider the fact that if you've got an 802.11ac Airport then you will need another Airport that supports 802.11ac if you want to keep your network running as an 802.11ac network.

Your mileage may very but I've never found a wireless extender that has been successfully able to extend an Airport.

I actually gave up and bridged my Airport Extreme to my ADSL modem and then went the other way out of frustration and because you can buy a Billion 3100SN for half the price of an Airport Express. I've never found Airports much good for anything except adding time capsule capabilities to my existing network.

6. jer0803 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bought the Express yesterday, I am not impressed.

I used Net Analyzer to test and compare my network with and without the Express. The number are pretty close. Right now I'm 25 ft from the extender and I don't have full wifi.