Airport Extreme + Verizon FIOS Set Up Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dojinsung, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dojinsung macrumors newbie

Ok here's some background info of my situation. I run a kind of dormitory in my house for students from Korea. Most are still young, so we have a rule that the internet must be off by midnight every night in order to keep them from staying up all night. Unfortunately, that also means when I turn off the router, I myself can not use it after midnight.

As a solution, I want to buy a seperate router, the Airport Extreme, for myself and let the kids use the original router, which I turn off every night. So in my plans, I imagined plugging the FIOS directly into the AE, and plugging the old router into a port from the AE. That way, I could turn off the old router that the kids use, but the AE is still on. (By the way, we all use wireless)

Is this a sensible solution? Or does anyone have a simpler way for me to do this? An issue I'm concerned about, is whether the FIOS will work on the AE when I switch the routers. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. :D

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I know on my WRT54GS you can block internet / ports during certain hours for specified computers.

Don't know what router you have.

3. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

In the Airport, you can set restrictions by MAC address.
    Just create a few new rules for each computers MAC address, and you are pretty much good to go. Or you can just set up a dual NAT, and then tell the Airport to shut off internet to the MAC address of the second router after midnight.