airport extreme/virgin superhub 3

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by bigrw, Jul 21, 2016.

1. bigrw macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Have an airport extreme and a virgin superhub 3. Have connected by cable to the airport extreme.

Why would it be that my download speeds connecting through the airport extreme are consistently at least 50mb/s slower than direct to the virgin superhub. This is in exactly the same place, over wifi on exactly the same device. Tested immediately before and after.

Any tips gratefully appreciated!

2. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

Make sure you have the 5ghz band turned on with the Airport extreme. My AirPort's 2.4 ghz band only will push around 30mbps where the 5ghz pushes 64mbps.

3. rjc101 macrumors newbie

If you are running the AirPort as the router, then put the VirginMedia SH into Modem only mode, if you have both setup as routers the AirPort will give you a double NAT warning, it will also impact performance. I've always found the virgin media boxes work best when in modem mode.

4. SHIVERINGGOAT macrumors member

SHIVERINGGOAT

Also make sure you are using CAT 5 or Cat 6 ethernet cables. I use the same setup and get 100mb speeds which is the plan I'm on.