Airport Extreme vs. Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeremy6044, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

So let me get this straight...the Airport Express can be attached to a printer and a speaker, for wireless printing and music. The Airport Extreme can be attached to a printer and hard drive for wireless printing and time machine backup. But neither of them allow wireless printing, time machine, and music. Why is that?

I just bought an Airport Express from eBay (which hasn't arrived yet), but I wish it had the capability to attach to my time machine back up in addition to the printer, speakers and cable modem. My place is too small to necessitate both the Airport Extreme and Express.

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You have all this mixed up the Extreme is a wireless router the express is not it just brings data from your computer around the house.

3. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

You are incorrect. The Airport Express effectively routes your internet connection to up to 10 wireless computers. See the manual at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPort_Express_SetupGuide_5.1.pdf. Page 14 has a diagram.

I can attest to this as I own two Express, a UFO Extreme and the new Extreme.

4. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

i hope the express is a wireless router, too! that's the main reason i got it. the other stuff (music, printer) are just nice to have. and it would be nicer to have wireless time machine backup, too.

5. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

I own both, just have the express to stream music. Unfortunately when I connect my Printer (HPc4180) to the base station (airport) I cannot use the slots for the memory cards it has (sd, flash, memory stick, etc...) I had to connect back to the USB port of my imac and share the printer.

I see useless the USB port, as you can just share the printer or external HD through the network....

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Maybe i was wrong.. Oh well i would prefer the Extreme anyways G is too slow.