Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy6044

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
So let me get this straight...the Airport Express can be attached to a printer and a speaker, for wireless printing and music. The Airport Extreme can be attached to a printer and hard drive for wireless printing and time machine backup. But neither of them allow wireless printing, time machine, and music. Why is that?

I just bought an Airport Express from eBay (which hasn't arrived yet), but I wish it had the capability to attach to my time machine back up in addition to the printer, speakers and cable modem. My place is too small to necessitate both the Airport Extreme and Express.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY

jeremy6044

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
i hope the express is a wireless router, too! that's the main reason i got it. the other stuff (music, printer) are just nice to have. and it would be nicer to have wireless time machine backup, too.

jota73

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2006
South America
I own both, just have the express to stream music. Unfortunately when I connect my Printer (HPc4180) to the base station (airport) I cannot use the slots for the memory cards it has (sd, flash, memory stick, etc...) I had to connect back to the USB port of my imac and share the printer.

I see useless the USB port, as you can just share the printer or external HD through the network....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.