Airport Extreme vs Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JoltinJoe, Aug 6, 2009.

1. JoltinJoe macrumors member

I'm interested in investing in either an Extreme or an Express for my dorm room and I'm definitely bummed to find that Apple has made them completely separate. I want the functionality (USB printer, hard drive) of the Extreme and the functionality (speakers) of the Express.

My question: Is it possible to circumvent the Extreme's inability to play AirTunes by purchasing a USB to 3.5mm headphone jack that I would be able to plug my speakers into giving me the same result as if I had the Express?

And! If that's possible, could I buy a USB hub so that I could have one to a printer, one to a hard drive, and one for my speakers?

Hope I was clear enough! Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

No you can't get an adaptor to convert from USB to 3.5mm audio. No you can't add a hub to an Express to add both printer and hard drive.

U should get an AEBS first and then save up some more dough and get an Express to do the AirTune thing.

3. JoltinJoe thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I read that you can attach a USB hub to Extreme for multiple hard drives and printers.

Anyone else?

4. Xirian macrumors member

You can use a hub for multiple devices on the extreme, but it will not support a usb sound card.