Airport Extreme vs Netgear R6300 - which router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cmm, Mar 15, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2006
    Manhattan & Zürich
    I have the Netgear R6300, which is an ac wifi router. It's worked pretty well (once a week I have to restart it).

How is the Airport Extreme? Is it worth purchasing over this router? Any downsides with the Airport Extreme thus far?
  2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Aug 10, 2008
    I have a 2nd generation AirPort Extreme and a 3 generation time capsule, and I can't remember the last time I had to reset either. They work great, no issues I can see, and I think they are worth the money.
  3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Feb 10, 2008
    I used a netgear before retiring it to a guest network access point. When used as a router, I had to restart it once a week or so, now maybe once a month. I've never "had" to restart my Apple routers or Time capsules except an older extreme I hung a number of USB drives off of. Sometimes I had to restart to get all the drives recognized. The current generation extreme doesn't seem to have this issue, although I haven't tried it.

I don't see any downside to the extreme for home use. It just works.
  4. Altemose macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2013
    Elkton, Maryland
    I use a 5th generation Extreme at the head of an 80 client roaming network at my school. Not only is it functioning as a router, but also runs the APs (Express 2nd gens) semi-lightweight. That is a lot of strain and it handles fine.

For kicks I replaced the Extreme with an ASUS router. I believe it was the RT-AC66U which in and of itself is highly rated. It crashed itself from the strain.

That is a lot to be going through one Extreme and I may be considering doing a dual LAN setup if we add more APs. But for right now my little 5th gen. is chugging away!

We also have a 6th gen at home and it performs admirably. We don't have any AC devices yet, but even my N-grade MacBook Pro (mid-2012) saw a boost. Great router and no complaints on reliability.
  5. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2010
    Southern California
    i've had the new airport extreme for about a month now and nothing has been reset! Everything is working perfect here!