Airport Extreme vs Netgear R6300 - which router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cmm, Mar 15, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I have the Netgear R6300, which is an ac wifi router. It's worked pretty well (once a week I have to restart it).

How is the Airport Extreme? Is it worth purchasing over this router? Any downsides with the Airport Extreme thus far?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a 2nd generation AirPort Extreme and a 3 generation time capsule, and I can't remember the last time I had to reset either. They work great, no issues I can see, and I think they are worth the money.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I used a netgear before retiring it to a guest network access point. When used as a router, I had to restart it once a week or so, now maybe once a month. I've never "had" to restart my Apple routers or Time capsules except an older extreme I hung a number of USB drives off of. Sometimes I had to restart to get all the drives recognized. The current generation extreme doesn't seem to have this issue, although I haven't tried it.

I don't see any downside to the extreme for home use. It just works.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use a 5th generation Extreme at the head of an 80 client roaming network at my school. Not only is it functioning as a router, but also runs the APs (Express 2nd gens) semi-lightweight. That is a lot of strain and it handles fine.

For kicks I replaced the Extreme with an ASUS router. I believe it was the RT-AC66U which in and of itself is highly rated. It crashed itself from the strain.

That is a lot to be going through one Extreme and I may be considering doing a dual LAN setup if we add more APs. But for right now my little 5th gen. is chugging away!

We also have a 6th gen at home and it performs admirably. We don't have any AC devices yet, but even my N-grade MacBook Pro (mid-2012) saw a boost. Great router and no complaints on reliability.

5. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

i've had the new airport extreme for about a month now and nothing has been reset! Everything is working perfect here!