AirPort Extreme vs Others

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elec999, Aug 31, 2007.

1. elec999 macrumors regular

I am looking at upgrading to a PREN router. My wireless G no longer works, the signal will no longer reach my room (single 5dbi antenna on it). Own a laptop with a pren card, and will be getting a Imac soon. Have the mac mini as well, but with only wireless g, (but I did see it get 108mbit connection). Right now I need a good pren router, with good signal strength, and also with ethernet gigabit ports. Should I get the Apple AirPort Extreme, or others. Such as the Linksys WRT350N, there are other brands as well Netgear, Trendnet, but didnt see any models I am instrested in. Also NO DLINK!. What can you recomend I do with. I also understand the Airport extreme can be used with a usb hub, to connect multiple printers, or a printer and hard drive.
    Thank you

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I have the new AEBS N (non-gigabit version) and I love it! I have two printers on the USB - works like a champ from Mac and XP. I put my external drive on the USB port as well to test it - it worked right off the bat but was too slow over G speeds.

3. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

It has two usb ports, or you using a usb hub.
    Thanks

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

It has one USB 2.0 port. And I put a hub on there.

5. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you use any hub, or do you need specific one, a powered hub.
    Thanks

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

one quick question: does anybody remember exactly when AEBS became gigabit capability?
    and can you buy a non-gigabit version from, say, online apple store now?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Refurb shop sells non-gigabit ones for $139.

8. elec999 thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up the Linksys WRT350N. I am disappointed with it.
    >No firmware upgrades since 2006.
    >Only supports hard drives, via usb, no printers.
    >Very quick signal, even for its triple antenna, and mimo. My old trendnet with single antenna did better.
    I did configure it well, and even played around with the wireless channels, and still didn't improve the signal. When the store gets stock. Im going to switch it for the apple one.
    Thanks

9. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I like the ABE. It is a good wireless router if you aren't looking for a lot of special advance options. The wireless HD is slow.

TS